Is reishi safe for long term use?

Whole reishi mushroom powder is possibly safe when used for up to 16 weeks. Reishi mushroom can cause dizziness, dry mouth, itching, nausea, stomach upset, and rash. The Komen Foundation notes that reishi mushroom extract is possibly safe for up to 1 year when a person takes it orally. However, they also point out that taking powdered reishi mushrooms for more than 1 month can be toxic to the liver.

Despite the popularity of reishi mushrooms in Eastern medicine, there are few human studies on the effects of this mushroom. The two people who participated in the case studies had previously consumed the reishi mushroom without problems, but experienced adverse effects after changing it to a powdered form. Because they work as an “immune modulator,” reishi mushrooms can help restore hormonal balance, return the body to homeostasis, and regulate the activity of the immune system. According to a review article, reishi mushrooms contain polysaccharides, peptides, and triterpenoids, which may provide some of their health benefits.

Reishi mushrooms typically grow in warm regions of Asia, the southeastern United States, southern Europe, and the South Pacific. Today, the reishi mushroom is recognized around the world for its powerful health benefits and medicinal properties. There are many different types of reishi products available, all of which have different levels of active ingredients that are affected by factors such as the plant's mother fungi, the growing conditions, and the processing method used to extract the reishi. In addition to its effects on the immune system and quality of life, the reishi mushroom has been studied for its potential to improve other aspects of health.

Some people claim that reishi mushrooms can boost the immune system, fight cancer, and alleviate the symptoms of many other health conditions. This advice also applies to those taking immunosuppressants, as reishi mushroom supplements may counteract their effectiveness. According to studies, reishi mushroom appears to be safe for adults when taken orally in appropriate doses for up to one year. People who already have low blood pressure or who are taking blood pressure medications may want to avoid reishi mushrooms.

In supplement form, reishi mushrooms typically contain little or no calories and only a small amount of dietary fiber and protein. In fact, a study with more than 4,000 breast cancer survivors revealed that around 59% consumed reishi mushrooms (1). The reishi mushroom is a type of edible medicinal mushroom that has been used for thousands of years for its healing capacity and fits the definition of a true superfood. A review of studies found that reishi mushrooms can help boost the immune system, but the authors wouldn't recommend them as a first response to cancer.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *