Is it safe to take high doses of reishi mushrooms over a long period of time?

Whole reishi mushroom powder is possibly safe when used for up to 16 weeks. Reishi mushroom can cause dizziness, dry mouth, itching, nausea, upset stomach. Ganoderma lucidum, an oriental mushroom (Figure 9,,) has a long history of use to promote health and longevity in China, Japan and other Asian countries. It's a large, dark mushroom with a shiny exterior and a woody texture.

The Latin word lucidus means “shiny” or “shiny” and refers to the varnished appearance of the surface of the fungus. Lucidum is called lingzhi, while in Japan the family name Ganodermataceae is reishi or mannentake. Some research found that people who took the reishi mushroom for 4 months were almost twice as likely to experience a side effect than those who took a placebo (2). Some even call reishi “nature's relaxing pill”), and they're not wrong.

Reishi is unique because it is rich in triterpenes, which are compounds that improve mood and can relieve stress. In fact, a study with more than 4,000 breast cancer survivors found that around 59% consumed reishi mushrooms (1). Taking reishi mushroom along with medications that lower blood pressure could cause your blood pressure to drop too low). The reishi mushroom is a mushroom that plays an important role in the traditional medical systems of China, Japan, Korea and other Asian countries because of its beneficial health effects.

Several studies have indicated that the molecules found in the reishi mushroom can lower blood sugar in animals (28, 2). Although most of the benefits of reishi mushroom for the immune system have been seen in sick people, some tests have shown that it can also help healthy people. The two people who participated in the case studies had previously consumed the reishi mushroom without problems, but experienced adverse effects after changing it to a powdered form. While the mushrooms themselves can be eaten fresh, it's also common to use powdered forms of the mushroom or extracts that contain these specific molecules.

Taking reishi mushroom along with medications that also slow blood clotting could increase the risk of bruising and bleeding. Other research also indicated that four weeks of taking reishi mushroom extract did not produce any harmful effects on the liver or kidneys in healthy adults (. In addition, avoid using reishi mushroom if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, because not enough studies have been done on its safety under these circumstances. Unlike some foods or supplements, the dosage of reishi mushroom can vary considerably depending on the type used (1).

Taking reishi mushroom may be riskier if you have low blood pressure or are taking treatment to raise it, are taking medications for diabetes, or have immune system disorders or medications). The mushroom also consists of a matrix of the polysaccharide chitin, which the human body cannot digest to a large extent and is partly responsible for the physical hardness of the fungus (Upton 2000).

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *